I have been asked this question so many times in the past weeks. First I want to say I have nothing against going to the gym, it just does not work for me for several reasons and I will share.
1. By the time I get dress drive to the gym, check in place my clothes in the locker room- my stream workout is done.
2. If I’m tired in my commute from work or just had a long tiring day and need to unwind I’m not going to stop by the gym. However if I go home and relax I can workout at home.
3. I can be dress in any attire to workout on my stream
4. My fit community is so supportive and positive and even more motivating
5. I need structure. There is a calendar for me to follow and the trainers are just awesome also motivating, encouraging and just real.
6. My trainers are available 24/7 on stream and if necessary I can DM them on IG.
7. Last for now, IT’S MY CHOICE AND APPEASING TO ME.
To workouts of choices- just get it done.
What the heck, who wants to gain doing workouts? Well that depends on your goal and it is all positive.
If you’re working out with weights there are benefits, yes you will gain muscle, heavier weights you will bulk up. You can also get firmer and toner even leaner with weights. For the females with that fear of bulk, it’s your weight lift or squat. In other words how heavy, but before you bulk you will burn so many calories. Oh yeah your nutrition will have to also change for a bulk.
But the gains I’m focused on is all personal.
1. Attitude is positive and if you’re already there then it is enhanced
2. Personal appearance, you give it a little more attention and you should because your inner beauty or handsome good looks begin to exhibit. Now I want to share that inner to outer beauty was always there sometimes being hard on ourselves we don’t always see it. But now you are feeling it and your outer vision on you begin to see a different person.
3. You feel powerful on decisions and with this just may be open to more challenges you once feared.
4. Nutrition will change and once again you feel power and energized- “come on workouts”
5. Interactions with family, friends, co-workers, colleagues totally change. They will be at a loss. It’s okay sometimes a shock is good for a few of them.
So as that scale slowly change or fluctuates just remember all the “WORKOUT GAINS”. I’ve shared only a few but there are so many more.
To a week of workout gains……
That sounds weird as if I am a robot right? Well I’m no robot and troubleshoot is just what I’ve recently begin saying to myself. Why this term well I have to evaluate myself. Sometimes it’s my workouts and other times it’s life and the ball it tosses.
Workouts first. I sometimes hesitate maybe laziness, fatigue (which is different from lazy), stress, frustration and this list can go on but hopefully you get the picture. I have to evaluate my reason and why. The why can itself create a list. Now then it’s time to troubleshoot the why or whys. How?, well I must look at the reason for example if I am stressed about a situation. I look deeper to determine if it actually involves me (sometimes we get caught up on change or circumstances of others and it effects us). If it does involve me what can I do, or is it a situation of change I need to adjust to and move along. This usually applies to on the job. If it is personal then what do I need to implement to distress myself and immediately because stress can lead to a multitude of health issues. So there, I trouble shot.
I know some say resolved and it is but I feel I should go deeper and trouble shoot so I will not in a few weeks or month have to re-resolve. Just saying and it’s what works for me.
After resolution which sometimes take a few minutes, hours, days, a week or two and never prolonging into months. Using the example given in workouts once resolved I can give greater than 100 in my workouts and see results as well as feel better.
Life now. How do I troubleshoot that? Almost the same how am I affected and involved. Am I being a butthead and not wanting to adjust or is it a matter I need to handle? If it is the butthead I evaluate why am I being just that every reason I come up with I question it. If it an issue I need to handle personally then I implement a plan and follow through. Again resolved, resolution the same I just troubleshoot because I dig deeper in hopes of a zero return. It’s just me.
Either way I encourage you to evaluate the reason you sometimes delay your goals be it workouts or a life goal you are progressing in. TROUBLESHOOT IT.
Say WHAT? Can you I say that again, of course, Challenges do create and motivate atleast for me.
My workouts especially the current one I am currently doing challenges me. It’s not the weights but just the routines and then weights are added and I’m trying to keep on beat before the routine changes, I’m huffing and puffing and then I get angry for a minute or three. Angry because I question why the heck am I doing this particular workout, why not just sit this routine out and see what the next one will be or just stop the program ?
Why, why, then I grasp a hold on what is going on. Why because I want change not just physical but also mental. SO what happens, I resume the workout and challenge myself on the routine and really what happens is so surprising and appeasing. Then I think, how often I have did the same thing in life.
In life it is sometimes easy to take an easier out than challenge what we think we can’t do, because of fear, or mockery from others, sometimes lazy or the fear of losing a friend. But if you as I did challenge small things and see the outcome and most of all feel GREAT then its time. TIME to unlock our greatness, mine included.
This week or days head challenge yourself in areas you thought were unreachable, goals of satisfaction and watch the greatness in you shine and will motivate you to higher goals and challenges. Just as I believe in me, I also believe in you.
CHALLENGES WE’RE COMING
Working out for fitness and seeing the body’s response can be fast or slow. This is the tea- WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.
Knowing that we are different is to say there will be different responses. The worst thing is to compare your body’s response to another. I learned this and had to refocus on ME. I know that my metabolism is off due to my history of an eating disorder and it’s going to take a bit more of everything not just workouts but nutrition as well. With this known I know my response to any workout program is going to be slower. Am I upset well NO.
If you want CHANGE it is first to know yourself. Knowing yourself is to know your body. Cardio workouts may give you little response and weight lifting may display a huge change or vice versa. Proteins, carbohydrates, vegetables, fruits, healthy fats does not react the same in everyone. Again I say, know your body and if you don’t just move things around and figure it out or consult a nutrition, metabolism testing helps decide which food groups works best for you. But whatever you DON’T STOP” just because your results are not as fast as someone else or different body parts are responding slower.
Also don’t forget the non scale victory or should I say victories because there are so many. Just keep working out and know and believe change is happening and your goal awaits. To weeks of VICTORY for working out I’m saluting you with an extra lift.
Really, How often? Well to be honest I cannot not answer the question, however I can give a few tips I use . I’m a Beachbodyondemand lover, all. To say I have several trainers with awesome workouts by a calendar. The trainers do suggest when its time to increase, do I follow? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
I increase my weights according to my strength, if I feel the current weight is not challenging I will increase prior to the trainer recommendation. On the flip if the weight is already challenging well no and no I’m not changing my weights.
Now the question is how do I know if they are not challenging, huh, have you ever lifted if not let me share. When you’re lifting and on rep 3 or 4 you gotta dig in with a face you hope no one is taking pictures or video taping and by rep 8 you;r a bit shaky but know you can maybe do 2 more reps and that’s MAYBE, the weights are challenging.
If you are able to lift and it feels like air or you can continue to lift on and on without any muscle fatigue. Just stop and increase the weights but if you like to go through the motion okay. It’s not really going through the motion because if you continue on and on the muscle will fatigue, the increase in weights cause the muscle to work and fatigue sooner, but with safe measures.
With any weight lifting make it about you, as I do, your goals, your challenge and most of all your safety as I also do. To weeks of weight lifting of fun (you have to enjoy your workout), safety and meeting those fitness goals, ENJOY.
It is, and I’d say it one thousand times. There are many struggles for me on my fitness journey.
1. Pushing myself to workout when I want to be just lazy which is not a good idea because I know me I’d use that excuse even when I’m not.
2. Making certain I don’t over indulge when I’m celebrating with friends and family. It is so easy to over indulge and there is a difference between enjoying yourself, (which I do) and over indulging. When I consume way too much my workouts are TOUGH. I be breathing harder, a 40 pound dumbbell feels like 90, two jumping jacks feel like I’ve ran a mile so I’ve learned, however there are a few times I forget.
3. When life challenges appear and you want to throw in the towel and just stop everything. For life challenges drain me, energy and all. On these time I PRAY and ask God for guidance and strength. Of course I read and listen to Personal Development books and podcast.
These are a few of my struggles and I pedal through, keep the focus and goal in my vision. For those who struggle just know you are not alone and you too should keep the focus and goal and know your goals are achievable.