How is that for a topic “Authenticity”. I read a lot of personal development books and a few are a repeat because I note the extra insight I receive about me that boost my @ss, I sometimes that is what I need. But just reading isn’t always enough, at least for me. I also listen to different podcasts. This word “Authenticity” is popping up a lot and what I’m learning and see in a few people how not authentic they are. Also make a note I’m only about 95% so I got work to do, that 5 percent is not as easy as saying 188.8.131.52.5.
Even in my workouts and I do share on social media I once boasted about how the workout was tough or challenging and my weights used. I once did just that. But being authentic to yourself, followers means really being you telling it like it is and not just following alone because so many are doing it, or believing it. It means really being true to you, loving you and proud of you. It’s okay if you are in the lower percentage on some things and I’m speaking of workouts at this time.
I at one time did not share how the workout was a challenge and I had to drop my weight from two 30 lb dumbbells to two 20’s or 15, as well as the reason. Of course I’d post the pic of the dumbbells but not share the whole story. I no longer do that, even in something so small as workouts and weights being authentic means being honest with yourself and others to whom you share.
What? Why?, because it is good for some to know it is okay if you have to drop set your weights to complete a routine and the reason.
For me the reasons are various:
1. Not enough sleep- without adequate sleep 6 hours minimum my workouts are sucky and I’m not able to lift heavy I mean a 10 lb dumbbell feels like 20 or 25
2. If my form is off, not standing correctly or only able to lift 1/2 the height or thrusting I know I need to decrease the weight because I am straining not getting the full benefit. There is a difference between straining and challenging.
3. Weight is challenging but my form is off and I’m at high risk of injury
4. My mindset is not with the workout and I need to either stop and repeat the entire workout later, or push through with decreased workouts to get the most out of that particular day’s workout.
There are more but just a short list.
So I ask how AUTHENTIC are you with yourself in any aspect of your life ?
Let this week be one to evaluate your authenticity and if necessary as I’m doing make steps to change.
What the heck, who wants to gain doing workouts? Well that depends on your goal and it is all positive.
If you’re working out with weights there are benefits, yes you will gain muscle, heavier weights you will bulk up. You can also get firmer and toner even leaner with weights. For the females with that fear of bulk, it’s your weight lift or squat. In other words how heavy, but before you bulk you will burn so many calories. Oh yeah your nutrition will have to also change for a bulk.
But the gains I’m focused on is all personal.
1. Attitude is positive and if you’re already there then it is enhanced
2. Personal appearance, you give it a little more attention and you should because your inner beauty or handsome good looks begin to exhibit. Now I want to share that inner to outer beauty was always there sometimes being hard on ourselves we don’t always see it. But now you are feeling it and your outer vision on you begin to see a different person.
3. You feel powerful on decisions and with this just may be open to more challenges you once feared.
4. Nutrition will change and once again you feel power and energized- “come on workouts”
5. Interactions with family, friends, co-workers, colleagues totally change. They will be at a loss. It’s okay sometimes a shock is good for a few of them.
So as that scale slowly change or fluctuates just remember all the “WORKOUT GAINS”. I’ve shared only a few but there are so many more.
Really, How often? Well to be honest I cannot not answer the question, however I can give a few tips I use . I’m a Beachbodyondemand lover, all. To say I have several trainers with awesome workouts by a calendar. The trainers do suggest when its time to increase, do I follow? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.
I increase my weights according to my strength, if I feel the current weight is not challenging I will increase prior to the trainer recommendation. On the flip if the weight is already challenging well no and no I’m not changing my weights.
Now the question is how do I know if they are not challenging, huh, have you ever lifted if not let me share. When you’re lifting and on rep 3 or 4 you gotta dig in with a face you hope no one is taking pictures or video taping and by rep 8 you;r a bit shaky but know you can maybe do 2 more reps and that’s MAYBE, the weights are challenging.
If you are able to lift and it feels like air or you can continue to lift on and on without any muscle fatigue. Just stop and increase the weights but if you like to go through the motion okay. It’s not really going through the motion because if you continue on and on the muscle will fatigue, the increase in weights cause the muscle to work and fatigue sooner, but with safe measures.
With any weight lifting make it about you, as I do, your goals, your challenge and most of all your safety as I also do. To weeks of weight lifting of fun (you have to enjoy your workout), safety and meeting those fitness goals, ENJOY.
Just a few days ago, I’m not sure what was going on but after my first workout which was with weights I felt fatigued. Weird as it sounds it was not a normal fatigue like I’m tired but as if I was fatigued and wanted to do something else. WHAT the heck ? SOMETHING else, really. I had to check myself.
I do feel this way if I am fatigue from working out some fierce. Now I had given my 100 and had increased the weights slightly but the feeling of wanted to do something else. Hmm maybe I was a bit stressed but this usually pushes me to a GREAT workout. Was I being lazy? hungry? or just one of those days I didn’t want to do anything. Not sure but my remedy was to STOP.
I STOPPED, prepared myself a protein drink, read a chapter in my PD book and yep just like that I was rejuvenated. This does not always work but it did on this day and I kicked my second workout up a notch or two and gave it not 100 but 150.
I’m not sure yet what was going on but being committed to change is so important. I’ve learned do nothing for change will accomplish a 100 at nothing. Slow or Fast being committed will get me there. I reached my goal that day. Pushing Through with no excuses.
Every trainer has a different approach to workouts. To many just watching will deter your thoughts. How so because you might think as I’ve done in the past that it is too much.
Every trainer I’ve worked out with has been GOOD. Really each one, no kidding, each one. I know this seems like a lie, but it’s not. I’ve had trainers at the gym and of course I do now workout a home, love beachbody. I want to clarify NOW as I’ve been confronted for having such a support for beachbody and home workouts. With my fluctuating schedule and other responsibilities going to the gym was not able to help with my fitness journey as I was able to make it to the gym once maybe twice a week and sometimes not at all. Home workouts gave me a freedom And I am able to keep my goal and fitness journey in focus.
Returning to “trainers”. Trainers have a different approach but they all have the same outcome. The trainer may not be the BEST for you for whatever reason. PLEASE let’s show respect and not BADMOUTH a trainer. Just move on to one that works for you as well as challenge you.
If you don’t have a trainer or feel you don’t need one okay. Just keep a schedule of your workouts and increase, routines, reps, weights and add another this will prevent the muscles and body from being complacent.
Beachbody has many trainers and for whatever your level of fitness is and with this offer I had to earn instead of running away from a challenging trainer to modify and continue. This is how I’ve learned different approach, yet challenging, satisfying workouts. I do cry sometimes, and I huff and puff, I fall down also I question the sanity of trainers when I am challenged. BUT once again they’re ALL GOOD.
Beginning my workout journey wasn’t easy. I’d look at other females regardless of age and would compare their results especially if it appeared we were doing the same workouts.
Reality since that time has taught me several things and has kept my journey ongoing even when it seems I am at a plateau.
1. We all have different DNA and body shapes, metabolism in workouts and nutrition differs.
2. Not knowing 100 percent what some one is consuming and how many workouts they are doing
3. The BIGGEST LESSON was, If I. Give 100 percent of each workout results will come. Now on this 100 percent, it can vary. Yes this isn’t a test of grading but giving my all you know there are days in a workout you feel a bit off but if you give your all as I learned that is my 100 for that day, tomorrow may be better and most of the time it is.
4. Being true to myself and applauding my progress as you should will get us to our goals.
5. FOLLOW the process of whatever workout you do, me it’s BEACHBODY and currently I am doing LIIFTFORMATION which is a hybrid of LIIFT4 @joelfreemanfitness and Transformation 20 @shaunt.
6. IGNORE those not on a journey. NOW everyone is not on a fitness journey but could be on a journey to improve certain aspect of their life. I only am saying ignore those not on a journey because they will not understand the struggles and seldom cheer for the accomplishments.
To a week of APPLAUDING, REWARDING OUR PROGRESS and Knowing Comparison is not ALWAYS a good thing.
WE ARE CHAMPIONS
I know I am not the only one who has and will experience this. Family members, spouses, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, you get it and YES they sometimes say things they hurt us on any journey be it physical as mine is or goal, accomplishment at work.
For me it is my fitness journey. I get remarks from love ones and by that I mean family. They notice every dang flaw, Oh I see that roll is there, those hips are you working out, girl get another serving or I’ll get you more looks like you are at a stand still in the haha weight loss so just eat it.
To you all, stop and evaluate your words, if I wasn’t strong, focused and determined I’d end my fitness journey. Do you know what it takes to workout when your quads are burning like never before and keep pushing through. Or that dress, or any clothing you thought you would fit perfect by now, but no and yes I am closer to that perfect fit just need to tweak a few things in the journey. That roll is smaller, really I see it is still there every time I look in the mirror don’t need the reflection off your tongue and damn it don’t pinch it. I enjoyed the desert and no I know how to ask for more, perhaps you forgot it’s the inches and weight I’ve lost and losing- not my voice. I shared the scale is not moving just making small talk. I did not share my non scale victories, inches lost WOW, yes you can lose inches and not weight sometimes, did I just educate your negative thought again. Thank me later with motivation and encouragement. Non scale victory is keeping my focus as it is my journey and know those closest to me don’t know what they think they know about me.
However your words, actions did HURT me, for a minute okay maybe 30 minutes but I forgive you because you don’t know me after all. Hopefully as I continue my journey you too will be willing to join me and change your mindset, fitness goals, and have a broader outlook on life. YES because I do love you and see so much GREATNESS in you.