I have been asked this question so many times in the past weeks. First I want to say I have nothing against going to the gym, it just does not work for me for several reasons and I will share.
1. By the time I get dress drive to the gym, check in place my clothes in the locker room- my stream workout is done.
2. If I’m tired in my commute from work or just had a long tiring day and need to unwind I’m not going to stop by the gym. However if I go home and relax I can workout at home.
3. I can be dress in any attire to workout on my stream
4. My fit community is so supportive and positive and even more motivating
5. I need structure. There is a calendar for me to follow and the trainers are just awesome also motivating, encouraging and just real.
6. My trainers are available 24/7 on stream and if necessary I can DM them on IG.
7. Last for now, IT’S MY CHOICE AND APPEASING TO ME.
There are many days of recent I am struggling. I struggle with getting my butt in gear to work out because I either stayed up too late- sleep deprivation does hinder my workouts or my nutrition was either in a deficit or I consume a tad bit too many carbs which both makes me just lazy. Now I said lazy not tired and when I’m lazy there is really nothing I am favorable of doing.
My current beachbody – beachbodyondemand workout has a few few routines I struggle with because I want to get the most out of my workout , one being lightning bolt, standing and kneeling. I did modify at the beginning and the struggle oh my when I wanted to progress was a laugh, look like I was hopping, then look as if I was preparing to scare someone or attack them BUT I didn’t stop of give up and I’ve ALMOST perfected the lighting bolt.
I challenged my struggle. On those days I’m struggling to get up and workout, I challenge my body and just do it. Challenging yourself in a positive way can be rewarding. This week how about challenge just one thing you struggle with – make yourself proud of you.
Why yes it it. I know when my workouts are super successful when I am all sweaty, muscles fatigued and I have to sit for a few minutes before contemplating my movements. This is awesome, BUT there is a BUT with an intense workout it is necessary to do several things.
1. HYDRATE –hydration is good for the body and muscles and should be done during and post workout. The choices are enormous and the choice is yours. For me it “Hydrate” that’s the name a supplement that supplies my body the essentials naturally and without added sugars. Water just water is good it is also good to add Himalayan salt to the water. These are my three choices but there are other products I just don’t use them.
2. REPLENISH – replenish the muscles with proteins post workout, again there are many what I love most is “Shakeology” , whey or vegan. My choice is vegan . If the muscles are worked hard, they need to be refueled. Can’t operate on empty or low fuel to an outstanding level. You do know you are outstanding, if not well you’ve been informed so refuel post workouts. Refueling doesn’t necessary have to be a protein shake any protein is good. A shake is my choice.
3. STRETCHING- It’s just easy to complete a workout and move one but stretching post any workout is so important especially with weight lifting. You lengthen the muscles out and get to enjoy the stretch, decrease the chances of increased muscle spasms, you are also cooling both the muscles and the body down as well as your breathing slowly returns to normal.
Overworking the muscles just doesn’t mean giving 100 % but you are giving 150 and more but it is necessary to reward the body as I’ve learned, so it will be prepared for tomorrow’s workout.
To all the over achievers on their workout journey, keep doing you- you are so amazing.
Follow your strength is a nice and polite way of saying don’t under lift but don’t over lift. I recently listened to two guys brag about their weight lifting . One said I may be able to lift that in a few days. They had stated their lifting weight one with bulging arms ( time to buy new new shirts. The other you could see developing muscles but not yet bulging. My eyes really popped. One thing I was listening and not part of the conversation but if you are lifting 45 pounds less than someone don’t think in afewdays you will be able to the same. It is wise to follow your trainer or listen to your body it speaks to you. Really.
First of all you don’t know how long it took an individual to get to their lifting weight, what is the routine. I know this because I workout with several trainer (beachbodyondemand) and it depends on the series of routine, the position, the pace and other factors which decides the weights to use. Do my lifting increase, slowly yes. Most of all good form and safety is important.
Speaking from experience and growth I say follow your strength, your body will tell you when its time to increase because the weights will seem lighter or you will do far more reps than you thought. Challenge yourself but again with safety and not too rapidly, which can cause injury. Also it’s okay to challenge yourself with an increase in weights for a few reps then decrease.
Consistency is key, you will get there. To weeks of challenges on weight lifting with great results.
My workouts some days are challenging especially when my RA is painful and a swollen joint or two. I’ve had followers and friends state they are not sure how or why I workouts with swollen joint, so I want to clarify. I’ve hade RA since childhood and there wasn’t a lot of excuses and believe it or not I am better as an adult than a child with RA. I will never compare my flares with others as everyone’s pain is different as well as how each of us is able to deal with the pain.
I really try not to allow my pain unless it is severe dictate my day, so that is why I use a towel. That is my workout towel on my exercise mat. I use it for extra cushion for my left thumb. There are days I am unable to put pressure on my left hand . If I try I am fallling over , slipping because my balance is off. BUT with the extra cushion it really decreases the pressure and impact of my weight on the left hand and I can do my workout without laughing at myself. Yes I do that too and so would you if you saw a rep without the towel. Now I also use the towel at times for the right knee but not often.
I just want to share if you really want to workout there is a way to adjust and sometimes you have to be created for yourself. Of course I do not recommend anyone to push themselves beyond their level of comfort or safety- KNOW YOUR LIMITS. I know mine. And for now the towel works.
To a week of pushing through and not allowing RA always dictate our next moves in working out. If you have a deficit of any kind I am saluting you too- Adjust and Push through. WE GOT THIS.
Every trainer has a different approach to workouts. To many just watching will deter your thoughts. How so because you might think as I’ve done in the past that it is too much.
Every trainer I’ve worked out with has been GOOD. Really each one, no kidding, each one. I know this seems like a lie, but it’s not. I’ve had trainers at the gym and of course I do now workout a home, love beachbody. I want to clarify NOW as I’ve been confronted for having such a support for beachbody and home workouts. With my fluctuating schedule and other responsibilities going to the gym was not able to help with my fitness journey as I was able to make it to the gym once maybe twice a week and sometimes not at all. Home workouts gave me a freedom And I am able to keep my goal and fitness journey in focus.
Returning to “trainers”. Trainers have a different approach but they all have the same outcome. The trainer may not be the BEST for you for whatever reason. PLEASE let’s show respect and not BADMOUTH a trainer. Just move on to one that works for you as well as challenge you.
If you don’t have a trainer or feel you don’t need one okay. Just keep a schedule of your workouts and increase, routines, reps, weights and add another this will prevent the muscles and body from being complacent.
Beachbody has many trainers and for whatever your level of fitness is and with this offer I had to earn instead of running away from a challenging trainer to modify and continue. This is how I’ve learned different approach, yet challenging, satisfying workouts. I do cry sometimes, and I huff and puff, I fall down also I question the sanity of trainers when I am challenged. BUT once again they’re ALL GOOD.
Do you know him or her? What? You never met? Really? Well, the demon was disguised because you have met. Yes you know when you hear, “you deserve a few days off” and you are just lazy, upset with the flow of the day, energy drained from dealing with BS, not that you really need those days off unless. Your workout trainer said so or you or on vacation, traveling. Okay to assist on the vacation or travel you can join me and be workout ready where ever you go.
BUT don’t let that “workout demon” deter you from your fitness journey. Kick him out the way and get your workout gear on and GET GOING.